Monday, February 20, 2012

100 Greatest Books

This new list is located at Scholastic's Top 100

This is the cover from the audio book. I like this one better!
Some of my thoughts on this list:

One of my very most favorites is Are You There God, It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume. I really believe I knew all the words to it when I was younger!! I must have read it 100 times.
This is an older version, maybe the one I had??

When purchasing books for my new library this year, I was sure to order all the Judy Blume books. Well, I didn't order Forever. I loved that book too!! But, I do remember my 5th grade teacher taking it away from my friends and I during class. I do believe it is better suited for middle school. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another one of my most favorite books is the Giver, written by Lois Lowry. My first year teaching I read this book with my class. They didn't like it at first, but by the end... they were so into it, they didn't want it to end. It was amazing to see these students get so hooked into a book, especially a book as good as this one. The Giver has won several awards and remains a book that many teachers use in the classroom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What Shall We Do With the Boo Hoo Baby by Cressia Crowell is the last one for tonight. What a fun book to help toddlers look at what they are or are not doing. The baby is crying, and his animal friends try to figure out how to make him stop. Is he hungry? Does he want a bath? Could he want to play? Despite all these good ideas, the baby just keeps crying. Will the animals ever discover what the baby really wants? A must read for parents of young children!!!




2 comments:

  1. I read "Are You There God It's Me, Margret" when I was in the 5th grade. That was many years ago, and I still remember it. Great book!

    Selina
    Classroom Magic

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's when I started reading it too, I believe!I love sharing her books now with my students. It is exciting to watch them enjoy her timeless books!

    ReplyDelete