Friday, January 6, 2012

Thunder Book Bus Visit

This is my principal and the Thunder player. I was surprised  my principal was taller! I mean, I already knew he was tall but goodness! :) 

This is one of the 4th graders who loves to read. He spends a ton of time in the library getting new books, talking about the books he is reading or wants to read. I have really liked getting to know him!


Just before Christmas break, our school had a visit from the OKC Rolling Thunder Bus. This bus is amazing.  The kids get to go on the bus and pick from a bunch of books, keeping whichever book they pick. They usually get something else too, like a bookmark. This time they were also treated with a visit from the newest Thunder player, Lazar Hayward. I don't know who had more fun, Lazar or the kids! It was fun to see their faces and to watch them talk to him.

The only part I don't love is that we are rewarding the kids who already love to read. The only ones who were invited to go on the bus were the ones who were top readers in 4th and 5th grade. These wonderful kids are going to keep reading whether there is a reward or not.
It's the ones who are reluctant readers who get to me. I want to reach them, and light a spark in them for reading. Hopefully I am doing that with some, even one!


Here is a link to see the video the Thunder created from the visit:
http://www.nba.com/thunder/video/2011/12/21/lazarbookbusmov-1942078/index.html
I wanted to take this picture for my brother. He is a huge Chicago Bulls fan! Lazar told me his good friend just got drafted to the Bulls this season. So, maybe just maybe my brother is a little jealous of this picture :) Probably not but just never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment