Sunday, December 30, 2012

Benchmarks

(this is from October, I didn't realize I had not published it! and now we are getting ready for the second benchmark!)

Whew.. most of our benchmark testing is over for the first nine weeks. I have 2 who still need to finish tomorrow with the special ed teacher. While this is a stressful time, I really like having the data to look at and use.

It's hard for third graders, because they have never really taken a big test before. Using bubble sheets (I always want to call them scantrons but I am thinking that is not "politically correct") is new to them. Being totally quiet for an extended period of time is also new. I understand the big push in stamina for students, I just wish younger grade teachers would catch on.

The best thing is that our district has subscribed to Mastery Connect. Have you tried it? You can find it at www.masteryconnect.com.  You put your test in, the answers and align it to your state standards.Next you take a picture of your bubble sheet and it scores it automatically for you. It is amazing. It then scores it and you see instantly how your students did individually and as a whole class. I never knew it could be so easy!!

Coming back to third grade sure feels like I have come back home! While there are definitely bumps in the road, it feels good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment