Saturday, January 26, 2013

Will Rogers

Not having grown up in the great state of Oklahoma, Will Rogers has never been a person of interest to me. Until this week this is. Oklahoma has recently changed their teaching standards and now third grade teaches Oklahoma history. Personally, I thought this is going to be great, to learn all the history of the state along with my students. Yeah, well, it's not all that exciting. Until this week.
The students were quite attentive the whole time. 

So what happened this week, you wonder? We were treated to a presentation by Dr. Doug Watson, a Will Rogers expert. He came out to our school yesterday and spent about an hour talking to the students about Will Rogers. He did rope tricks, using his lariat.
Roping tricks

He talked of how he (Will) had to ask his wife 3 times before she agreed to marry him. Will made over 70 motion picture movies, most of which were silent. He was born on Nov. 4th (happens to be the same day as a boy friend I had... and my students found that to be GROSS!! HA!).
My class and "Will Rogers"

We spent some time after writing thank you letters. This is by far m favorite. "Out of the mouths of babes"...as they say. 

"It was sad how Will Rogers passt away but I took it like a man!" 
Here is another good response: 


We have to end on an illustration :) I love third graders!



If you are interested in learning more about Will Rogers, the man and legend, visit the
Will Rogers Memorial Museum.



No comments:

Post a Comment